วันพุธที่ 11 เมษายน พ.ศ. 2555

"How I lost 20 pounds": American Idol winner Carrie Underwood reveals her very doable strategies for slimming down and getting healthy

We all know Carrie Underwood's story by now: small-town Southern girl makes it big on American Idol, the most popular show on TV. What many of us don't know is that American Idol's fourth-season winner was gaining more than just fame while the show was airing: Carrie put on 20 pounds. "It was crazy," says the now-slimmer star, relaxing in the lounge of a bowling alley in New York City with her tiny terrier, Ace, snuggled up next to her.
"People may be surprised to find out almost every contestant puts on weight during the competition." The main causes? Stress from the show; bad cafeteria-like food; and long, sedentary days spent waiting to meet with the vocal coaches who help contestants with their song arrangements. "I was just talking to Kellie Pickler [from season 5], and she said someone had commented on how much smaller she is now than when she was on the series, and she responded, 'No, I'm just back to my pre-American Idol weight!'" Carrie sat down with Shape to reveal--for the first time--her secret weapons for losing 20 pounds, plus how she's building strength and stamina for her national summer tour to promote her new CD, Carnival Ride, the follow-up to her multiplatinum debut.
WRITE DOWN EVERY SINGLE BITE
Because she was so focused on being crowned the next American Idol, Carrie waited until the contest and subsequent tour were over before deciding how to tackle her weight gain. She knew she would need more than just a healthy, low-calorie diet; she would also need a way to keep track of her food intake. So Carrie bought a spiral notebook and started a food diary. "I discovered that writing down everything I eat makes such a difference, because you never realize how much you're consuming unless you read it later in the day," she says, pulling out a colorful 8-by-10-inch notebook from her purse. "I take this with me everywhere." She opens the journal to the entry from the day before and begins reading: "I had two whole-grain waffles for breakfast. Then I had a sandwich for lunch, which I put down as bread, fake meat [she's vegetarian], and cheese." The key, she says, is checking the calorie count on food labels and jotting down the details immediately after a meal to avoid food amnesia. "I'm a big nighttime eater," says Carrie. "When I can look at my diary and see how many calories I've consumed during the day, I'm able to figure out how much I can eat at night."

When she can't rely on food labels, she turns to The Calorie King Calorie, Fat & Carbohydrate Counter, by Allan Borushek. "I use this book or the Web site, calorieking.com, when I'm on the road and have to eat out," she says. "It has chain restaurants' menus and lists the calories, carbs, and fat for every dish, so I'm always prepared. For example, I know P.F. Chang's has these lettuce wrap appetizers that are around 100 calories. One of those and an entree and I'm good to go."
KNOW WHEN TO CALL IN EXPERT HELP
Coming up with a convenient exercise plan was also tops on Carrie's list. When she moved into her new home two years ago, she saw it as the perfect opportunity to set up her own mini home gym. She hired a personal trainer to help her figure out the best equipment for reaching her goals--and the proper way to use it. They started with an elliptical machine for cardio, a balance ball for ab work, and free weights to tone her arms and shoulders. "We got really simple, basic stuff, because if it was anything more complicated, I knew I wouldn't have used it," says Carrie. Her trainer spent a few weeks helping her develop a routine until she got it down cold.
Carrie typically works out in the morning, getting on the elliptical for 30 minutes and then following up with reps of weights. "My favorite thing is cardio," says Carrie. "It really helps the pounds melt off, and it gives me so much more energy. Now when I'm performing and running around the stage, it's no big deal, whereas before I was always gasping for breath. Working out has really paid off onstage."
DON'T LET THE SCALE RULE YOUR LIFE
Once American Idol made Carrie a bona fide star, the singer's weight became a popular topic in the tabloids and on gossip blogs. "I was heavier," admits Carrie. "Still, there's nothing worse than going online and reading that someone has called you chubby." Now that she's at a healthier weight for her body, Carrie is careful not to obsess over the numbers on the scale and vows to maintain a positive attitude in the high-pressure celebrity world. "I'm a performer, and yes, being in good shape is part of the package," says Carrie. "But I don't ever want to get neurotic about my weight. I feel healthy and I know I'm a good size for me. And that's what's most important."
RELATED ARTICLE: ON MY PLAYLIST NOW
"I tend to talk on the phone when I'm working out, but these are some songs I love to listen to anywhere."
* The Rolling Stones
"Paint It Black"
* Anything by the Foo Fighters
* My Chemical Romance
"The Black Parade"
* Keith Urban
"Once in a Lifetime"
* Anything by Aerosmith
Buy and download this playlist at shape.com/playlists.
RELATED ARTICLE: "A few of my favorite things"
Steven by Steve Madden Vyxen pumps ($130; stevemadden.com for stores) "I wear these heels all the time. They go with just about everything."
The Shining, by Stephen King ($8; barnesandnoble.com) "I just started reading this, but I'm hooked already."
Anna Sui Flight of Fancy Eau de Toilette ($52 for 16 oz.; annasuibeauty.com for stores) "This scent is sweet without being too powdery."
Dove Beauty Bar ($3 for two; at drugstores) "I've been using it forever because it doesn't dry out my skin."
Sausalito dinner-ware (16-piece set, $139; potterybarn.com) "These dishes are my favorite. I love the colors and weight."
Victoria's Secret Pink sweatpants ($29; vspink.com) "I don't fly in anything but these comfy sweats."
RELATED ARTICLE: Carrie: then and now
One of the most eye-opening things Carrie learned from keeping a food diary was how much late-night snacking contributed to her daily calorie intake. A switch from foods like ice cream and pie to 100-calorie packs of popcorn and small baggies of Kashi cereal helped satisfy her munchies in a healthy way. In fact, cereal has become her go-to snack. "I'm like a kid," says Carrie. "I carry it with me everywhere!"

ไม่มีความคิดเห็น:

แสดงความคิดเห็น